Colored Library (Odd Fellows Hall)

Colored Library (Odd Fellows Hall)

Constructed circa 1896, this two-story structure made of Dade County pine was built on land purchased from Joseph and Euphema Frow for $25 without architectural planning. Originally, this site housed the area's first Black library, literary and fraternal societies, and became the focal point for community meetings. The first floor housed the library and was also used as a community center for dances, dinners and parties. The second floor was used exclusively for the meeting of The Odd Fellows lodge members and other secret fraternal organizations. In 1968, the United Church of Christ purchased the building and removed the second floor because of structural damage.

Things to do Nearby

Choose a category