Coconut Grove Cemetery

The Coconut Grove Cemetery was first used as a graveyard in the early 1900s when Miami's Bahamian immigrants moved their cemetery from another location. It was purchased in 1913 by five families for $140. The cemetery was created by the Coconut Grove Colored Cemetery Association and today it is managed by the Coconut Grove Cemetery Association, which includes the following families: Burrows, Higgs, Reddick, Ross and Stirrup. It adjoins the Charlotte Jane Memorial Cemetery, which was named in honor of the wife of E.W.F. Stirrup. Adding to the lore of the cemetery are the 12 anthropomorphic "head and shoulder stones," which can only be found here in Miami-Dade County.

MORE ABOUT Coconut Grove Cemetery

{{amenity.groupName}} {{amenity.itemsCount}} items

  • {{item.title}}

Stories about Coconut Grove Cemetery

{{item.title}}

{{item.title | limitTo: 55}}{{item.title.length > 55 ? '...' : ''}}

{{item.description | limitTo: 160}}{{item.description.length > 160 ? '...' : ''}}

{{ctrl.swiper.activeIndex + 1}} / {{ctrl.swiper.slides.length}}

Things to do Nearby

Choose a category