Coconut Grove Playhouse

`
The building was originally constructed as a movie theater called the Player's State Theater. Opened in 1927, it was designed by the architect Richard Kiehnel and built by Irving J. Thomas and Fin L. Pierce. Albert Peacock was the contractor. It was renowned as the second movie theater on Florida's east coast with air conditioning, and for having the largest Wurlitzer organ in the U.S. In the 1950s George Engle, an oilman, bought it and spent more than $1 million in renovations, having the architect Alfred Browning Parker convert it to a legitimate theater. In the 50 years that followed, the Playhouse played host to many of theater's most renowned performers. Discussions are underway about plans to restore and re-open the theater.

MORE ABOUT Coconut Grove Playhouse

{{amenity.groupName}} {{amenity.itemsCount}} items

  • {{item.title}}

Stories about Coconut Grove Playhouse

{{item.title}}

{{item.title | limitTo: 55}}{{item.title.length > 55 ? '...' : ''}}

{{item.description | limitTo: 160}}{{item.description.length > 160 ? '...' : ''}}

{{ctrl.swiper.activeIndex + 1}} / {{ctrl.swiper.slides.length}}

Things to do Nearby

Choose a category